Key Workout
Description: Epic loop X2. First loop with Steve, Anthony, Michelle, and Dave N. Second loop with Steve and Anthony.
Location: Epic loop X2: Steve's house up Deer Creek, up Parmalee, up Kerr Gulch, up the back side of Shadow, and up the back side of High Grade, down to car at Wadsworth. All that twice.
Nutrition: 4 bottles of Perpetium, 2 almond snicker, 5 Clif Shots, 2 bags Clif Shot Bloks.
Weather: very cold in the morning, nice after the sun came up
Distance: 135 miles, 16,000 feet climbing
Pace: took about 12 hours
Comments: First off a huge thanks to Steve and Andrea for dropping a car at Wadsworth that we were able to put supplies into. The ride started at Steve's and I thought it wasn't that cold. My car said 51. I decided against knee warmers, and went with two tops and arm warmers. Worst decision I have ever made. The first 2.5 hours were very cold, the coldest I have ever been on the bike. I was shivering so hard I had trouble with one downhill. once the sun came out (on Kerr Gulch) it warmed up nicely. The first loop was taken at a very manageable pace. At the top of high grade on the first loop my shoulders were very achy. I was a little nervous about this, and I think it was from the shivering.
The second loop went much better than I imagined. Everything loosened up and I felt like we were going faster and were stronger. It was so nice to ride with Steve and Anthony and to talk about how things were going. I felt like we fed off each other and got excited together.
Great ride, great company, fitness is coming along nicely. I'm excited to do this ride again in June, this time on the TT bike.