Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Key Workout - November 15

Description: 34 mile trail race called the Ultimate XC.
Location: Moab, Utah
Nutrition: Cliff Power Shots (5), hammer gel (1), gummy life savers (30), handfuls of potato chips, banana, oranges, boiled potato at aid stations. Hydrations was 13 bottles of my fuel belt of heed (104oz), mix1 before start, and mix1 at 22 miles (I love those things). 
Weather: couldn't have been any better. I wore spandex shorts which were great, PC top (awesome for the pockets) and my core concepts convertible top. I took it off at mile 3 and dropped it at my bags.
Distance: was supposed to be around 31, but ended up being around 34.
Pace: Overall time was 6:41, 12:10 pace. First 20 miles (actually 22) was in 4:17 and the last 10-12 miles was in 2:23. Went out much slower and finished much faster than those around us.

Comments: This was a really awesome experience for me. It was gorgeous and fun. It took a few miles to get settled into a rytthem. Steve, Anthony and I ended up running together and that was awesome. After about 6 miles we just stared passing person after person after person. We didn't get passed the whole time (after mile 6 or so). Definitely ran a smart race. I struggled the last 6 miles. I got off my nutrition and had some electolyte tabs and they upset my stomach. The last 5 miles I was rally nauseous. Steve stayed with me and gave me lots of encouraging words. I was able hang onto him barely. The last quarter mile we were challenged and we sprinted into the finish. 

Post: Because I did not fuel through the last 5-6 miles and finished with a sprint, I was really spent after I finished. It took me 45 minutes to change my clothes. After eating some pasta I bounced right back. Pasta + bonk = good thing. 

Lessons: I got ahead of myself during miles 18-22. Need to work on staying consistent even when I feel great. I did a good job of hanging on when I wasn't feeling good. Lesson: I have grit when I'm struggling, but no patience when I am feeling great. Work on that. Also, nutrition. I knew not to try anything new, but I did and that's a big no-no. Stick to what works, as boring as it may get. I did not crave salt at all during this run.