Sunday, December 21, 2008

Key Workout - December 20

Description: Run 46.58 from Steve and Andrea's house to Boulder
Location: From Highlands Ranch to BoulderNutrition: 7 bottles of HEED, 8 goos, various slew of rice cakes, potato chips, gummy life savers, potatoes with salt, and mashed potatoes. The Mashed Potatoes were a huge hit, but next time they need move salt (even though they had a ton) and they needed to be packed in a baggie where you could bite off the corner.
Weather: We were lucky. Despite being Dec 20 we had minimal wind, and the roads were mostly free of snow. It was 17 when we started and the average temp for the day hovered around 22 degrees.Distance: 46.85 miles from Steve & Andrea's to Pearl StreetPace: 10 min + 5 minute stops at the aid stations
Heart Rate Stats: still not using a monitor, makes me feel like I can't breathe.

Comments: This was a totally epic endeavor. I wasn't really sure I could do it when I woke up that morning. I had trouble wrapping my head around the distance, and thought I would struggle a lot b/c we weren't on trails (which I feel like I could run forever on). We had a lot of people join in with us at various points and I really enjoyed that. I can turn off my brain and just listen to people chat and the miles roll by. I'm a social runner :). I really struggled for a 10 mile stretch between 17 and 27. The pace quickened and I thought I was done for the day. It's interesting that every long run I seem to struggle in a different spot. I was prepared for some knew pain like I tend to usually get between 25 and 30 miles and it never came. I never had any sharp pains, only dull hurts. My body felt the best this run. The last 20 miles were really great. The best part was having Troy do SAG support and watching him take care of the whole groups needs during the run, all while taking care of Annie too. It was a family adventure.
Here is the video I made of the day: